FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I determine my Experience Level?
KINETICOACH uses 3 experience levels to select the perfect workout to get you fit while keeping you safe. Here’s how we define our experience levels
- Beginner – Less than 1 year of consistent fitness training. Unfamiliar with the KINETICOACH movements. New to using weights for fitness training
- Intermediate – 1-2 years of consistent fitness training. Mostly familiar with KINETICAOCH movements. Some experience using weights for fitness training
- Advanced – >2 years consistent fitness training. Familiar with KINETICOACH movements. Experienced using weights for fitness training.
You can update your experience level at any time by selecting the Settings wheel on the Homepage, and then click on “Edit profile and goals.”
We recommend new users who qualify as Advanced to start with Intermediate for a few workouts just to get a feel for KINETICOACH workouts.
How do I know WHICH weights to use in a workout?
When a workout involves weight, KINETICOACH provide suggested weights based on experience level. Ensure you watch the full demo video (click the YouTube link within the app) & practice and thoroughly warmup the movement at lighter weights prior to starting the workout.
Never use a weight that leads to poor form. You will make faster fitness gains using a lighter weight with safe & correct form than if you go heavy and injure yourself. Only increase weight once you can consistently do a movement safely.
Note: that different types of workouts will demand different weights for the same movement. For example, longer workouts with higher reps will generally use lighter weights than a shorter workout with a lower volume of reps.
How should I warmup?
It is absolutely critical to thoroughly warmup prior to your KINETICOACH workout. Warming up does not mean lots of static stretching; an effective warmup mixes dynamic mobility to gradually increase range of motion and warmup joints, muscles, and your aerobic metabolic pathway.
We recommend you follow the full KINETICOACH warmup prior to your workouts. The KINETICOACH warmup consists of 13 movements and takes approximately 6 minutes to complete.
To view the warmup, click on the INSTRUCTIONS link at the bottom of the workout page. You can view each movement separately in GIF form, or click the YouTube link to watch the full warmup with instructions.
How do I use the Demo videos?
KINETICOACH’s professional trainers demonstrate all exercises and stretches in the form of GIFs and YouTube videos. The in-app GIFs are designed for a quick-view refresher of movements. If a movement is new to you, click on the YouTube link at the bottom of the demo page. This will take you to a full instructional video with detailed instructions on safe and efficient execution of the exercise. We recommend you film yourself doing the movement and compare it to the KINETICOACH demo video to see where corrections are needed.
What if I can’t do a movement as it’s shown in the Demo video?
The professional trainers in the demo videos have been doing these movements for more than a decade. There is no expectation that you’ll be able to do all movements as demonstrated right away.
Follow the instructions on the left side of the video for a prioritized list of what parts of the movement you should focus on. Never use a range of motion that leads to pain or causes you to violate the instructions. For example, with the Air Squat, do not continue squatting lower if your lower back rounds or if your knees collapse.
Often, simply slowing down the movement allows you time to make adjustments to keep correct form.Film yourself and compare to the demo video to identify where corrections are needed.
What if I’m injured?
Future updates to KINETICOACH will incorporate injury workarounds into workouts. However, there’s no reason to stop working out completely due to injuries. Follow your physician’s guidance for exercise restrictions. Warmup thoroughly and identify which movements or ranges of motion cause pain or discomfort.
The Custom Workout Builder algorithm provides you 10 workouts to choose from with each workout build. Run the builder again if necessary to find a workout compatible with your injury.
how does the app Use my "time available" selection?
KINETICOACH will use your "TIME AVAILABLE" as the upper limit for workout selections. The Custom Workout Builder algorithm will choose workouts primarily within your "TIME AVAILABLE" selection, but will also pick shorter workouts that meet your other selected criteria. Always working out in the same time domain limits your fitness gains, so explore the extremes of workout durations (shorter and longer).
How should I answer, “How are you feeling today?”
This question allows the Custom Workout Builder to adjust the intensity (duration, speed, load, or volume) of your workout based on how you feel. You can choose from three different options. Each option is still tailored to your experience level:
- STRESSED & TIRED – choose this option if you had insufficient sleep (<5-6 hours), if you do not feel recovered or rested, if you feel drained, if you feel excessively sore, or are recovering from illness. Stressed & Tired workouts will have lower volume, and will tend to focus on one area such as stretching, strength development, or skill work. These are great recovery workouts for those days when you need to move, but just don’t feel like going hard. DON’T HESITATE SELECTING STRESSED & TIRED! These workouts are a critical part of a fitness program.
- FEELING OK – choose this option if you had moderate sleep (6-7 hours) and feel mostly recovered. You can be somewhat sore. FEELING OK workouts are great at the end of a long week or travel day, or as the last workout prior to a rest day when you feel well enough to go somewhat hard in a workout, but don’t feel 100%. FEELING OK workouts will have moderate volume and loading, but will still ask you to work hard. These are NOT easy workouts and will contribute to your fitness gains.
- FEELING GREAT! BRING IT ON! – choose this option of you had sufficient sleep (7+ hours) and feel fully recovered and rested. Slight soreness is OK. These are great workouts after a rest day or when you’re feeling great and want to push hard. FEELING GREAT workouts are not necessarily always longer workouts; they will tend to have higher loads, volumes, or will demand higher output. These are tough workouts and will vastly improve fitness.
How often should I workout?
We recommend either:
- 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off, such as:
o Monday – workout
o Tuesday – workout
o Wednesday – workout
o Thursday –rest
o Friday –workout
o Saturday – workout
o Sunday - rest
- 2 days on, 1 day off
Consistency is critical for a steady pursuit of your fitness goals. Even if you only have 15 minutes, you can do the full warmup and get a KINETICOACH workout in. Just select < 5 minutes when asked “How much time do you have?” And remember, on days you don’t feel great, select “Stressed & Tired” to keep on your path to fitness.
Listen to your body. If it’s supposed to be a workout day but you’re unable to even get through the warmup, consider throwing in a rest day and modifying your workout schedule.
How do Teams and Leaderboards work?
KINETICOACH allows users to create and join teams for motivation and competition.
Select the “LEADERBOARD” tab at the bottom of the homepage. You can create your own team and invite other KINETICOACH users to join, or if you receive an invite code, you can join someone else’s team.
Once on a team, you can view leaderboards based on experience points or on workout performance.
The default leaderboard for a team is the Experience board. This ranks team members by how many experience points they have earned. You can filter the board by workout performance by clicking “Filter by Workout” at the bottom of the Team page. Now select a previously accomplished workout or search for a workout by name to see how you rank based on workout performance.
How do I post results for a workout?
Prior to starting a workout, click the INSTRUCTIONS link at the bottom of the workout page to see what type of result and notes you’ll be asked to enter. There are several types of results.
- Total Reps – track the total number of repetitions you complete in a workout.
- Total Rounds Plus Reps into the Final Round – a “round” consists of a group of exercises. Each time you get through that group, you will have completed a Round. At the end of the workout, you’ll enter the number of times you completed Rounds, and then you’ll enter how many reps into the final round you completed. KINETICOACH will automatically convert this into a raw score for the leaderboard.
- Total Time – track how long the workout takes to finish. Simply note the time on the timer when you complete the workout.
- Weight Used – enter the heaviest weight used for the workout. If you needed to modify the weight during the workout, enter the weight you used for the majority of the workout.
- Notes Only – some workouts will only ask you to enter notes regarding performance, what weight you may have used, or any modifications to movements you made.
After completing a workout, click on the green “FINISHED” button in the upper right corner of the timer page. You will then be prompted to enter your results based on the type of workout.
After entering your result, you’ll be asked to enter any notes. The Instructions link at the bottom of the workout page will let you know what notes to enter to help you compare future performance of the same workout.
What is THE Virtual Gym?
As you complete workouts and reach certain milestones (such as consistency in working out), you’ll earn experience points towards equipment in your KINETICOACH Virtual Gym. There are hundreds of pieces of equipment to earn, so stay consistent, work hard, and watch your gym grow!
Why should I do Flexibility work?
KINETICOACH uses mobility training for functional flexibility. The goal of mobility work is to gain or maintain a healthy range of motion in your joints and muscles. Consistent mobility work vastly reduces the risk of injury and increases your performance in workouts to get you fit faster. Consistent flexibility and mobility work is critical for regular travelers who may spend large amounts of time sitting or inactive. Follow the KINETICOACH warmup, use the Movement Library to select flexibility movements when you need a quick stretch, and occasionally choose a “Stressed & Tired” workout for longer flexibility workouts.
1. How do I eat healthy while traveling?
2. What can I do to sleep better?
3. Why am I not losing weight?